The Denver Geophysical Society contributes a portion of proceeds from Events and Continuing Education programs throughout the year to our Scholarship Foundation. Scholarships are determined and distributed by our parent society - The Society of Exploration Geophysicists. Guidelines for application of the DGS Scholarship are listed below, we encourage all applicable students to apply.
1) There will be four scholarships available each year. One each for incoming-Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior college students.
2) The amount of each scholarship is determined by the SEG Foundation as sustainable based on the size of our endowment and rates of return for our investment dollars. It is expected to be around $1000-$1500.
3) In order to qualify for the Freshman award, the applicant must be a graduate of an accredited Colorado high school or to have been home-schooled in Colorado. They can be headed for any college or university in the United States that has a degree program for geophysics or geology/extended geophysics option.
4) Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors need to fall into one or both of these two categories. a) They are a Colorado high school graduate (or home-schooled) and are attending any US college or university that offers a degree in geophysics, or b) they are attending Colorado School of Mines or University of Colorado Boulder to attain a degree in geophysics regardless of where they attended high school.
5) All scholarship recipients must be US citizens.
6) All scholarships are merit-based.
Online applications are accepted 15 September through 1 March.
Mid-March through mid-April a committee of 9 professional geophysicists independently review and rank each application. A consensus meeting is held in mid-April to discuss the applications and establish a final ranking. Top ranked students are matched with available scholarships. Applicants are notified of results in May.
- Sep–Mar: applications accepted
- Mar–Apr: applications reviewed and scholarships assigned
- May: applicants notified of results
- May–Sep: enrollments verified; acceptance documents completed; funds distributed